NFS bug?

Per Lindgren pl at mizar.docs.uu.se
Tue Jul 3 00:34:19 AEST 1990

I have come across a strange behaviour on my Sun system (well, I don't
actually OWN it, but...). My system is a 4/260 server and some 3/60
clients (all clients are diskless). The problem has to do with NFS (I
think).

On one of the clients, the file /usr/include/strings.h contains text from
a totally different file, a user-made file and not a system file (and the
user does not have any system privileges). "Oh, the file was overwritten
then somhow" I thought.  But when I looked at
/export/exec/sun3/include/strings.h on the server, everything was OK, the
file had its correct content.  "Strange..." I thougt, and went to another
client and looked, and lo!, it too showed the correct content!  The file
on the server and the file on the (one) "faulty" client have the same
inode number (as it should be!), but seemingly different contents!

Now, I am not an NFS guru at all, and this thing is most likely to have
happened to others before me, so I'm asking you: what has happened? Is it
a nfs bug, nfs-setup problem, disk problem, ...?

If it is a bug, is it documented in Suns "Customer Distributed BugsList"
or anywhere else?

Per Lindgren			pl at mizar.docs.uu.se
Dept. of Computer Systems
Uppsala University, SWEDEN