Need recommendations on how to select partitions

Dave Martindale dave at imax.com
Wed Jul 18 04:28:23 AEST 1990

In article <9559 at brazos.Rice.edu> pcg at compsci.aberystwyth.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:

>Partitioning a disk used to be useful because:
>
>1) You could dump separately only whole partitions: this is no longer
>   relevant. Instead of using dump(8) use GNU tar to dump, and dump subtrees,
>   not partitions, with the frequency more appropriate to each subtree.

GNU tar does not have any way to do incremental dumps.  I want to save
files that have changed in my daily dumps, but don't want to save the
whole subtree they are in that often.  Nor do I wish to manually keep
track of what files or subtrees need backing up tonight.  Dump does a good
job of handling this; nothing else does.  And if you decide to do backups
with dump, then partitioning is still relevant.