Exabyte on Sun3/160

Juan Carlos Perez carlosp at moe.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
Sat Jul 28 02:55:54 AEST 1990

This probably has been asked many times before...  I have a Sun3/160 with
an SCSI adaptor. At the end of the ribbon cable there is a ACB4000
controller with a ESDI drive, I'm trying to connect and exabyte on the
spare SCSI connector -normally used by a 1/4" tape (st0)- and it does not
work.

=========================== VMEbus
    || -> ribbon cable
    [[
    [[ SCSI connector <=== EXABYTE
    [[
----   -----
ACB4000
Controller
----------

  ----
  ESDI DRIVE (sd0)

	o At boot time, I get the error
	 "si0: sc_cmd:scsi bus continuously busy"
	 "sc0: resetting bus"

	o The exabyte does not go through the self test
	  sequence and the small door will not open.

	o If i try to mount any file system on the the ESDI
	  drive  I get the above error plus:

	  " sd0: scsi failure"

The exabyte SCSI ID is different from 0, with the terminator and without
the terminator on the exabyte, I get the same result.  One thing. my Sun
is a 2/160 upgraded to 3/160.  Any help will be very much appreciated.

Juan-Carlos Perez, Systems Administrator     carlosp at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.ca
Research Centre for Intelligent Machines              Phone: (514) 398-7155
McGill University                                       Fax: (514) 398-7348