PC-Emulation on Sparc!

Scott McRae scott at hfserver.hfnet.bt.co.uk
Fri Jul 6 18:38:50 AEST 1990

In article <9614 at brazos.Rice.edu>, srvarma at zookeeper.cns.syr.edu (* Sandeep Varma *) writes:
> I have come across 2 products which can emulate a PC on a Sun.
>
> 1. DOS Windows:
> 2. SunIPC (Sun Integrated PC):

One disadvantage to SunIPC is that you need a SUN with a VMEbus to plug it
into.  Expensive!!! :-)

A cheaper alternative would be to buy a product called Synergy from Puzzle
Systems Corporation. This slots into a SPARC stations 1's internal SBus
and provides (as the man says) 80386 performance at a fraction of the cost
($1995 +vat + p&p.)

Other features include support for extended memory (which DOSwindows
DOSn't), Hercules, VGA and Super VGA graphics standards and a 16K cache of
SRAM.

Currently Synergy is only integrated with Sunview: we'll have to wait
until November time for the OpenLook version.

   Scott McRae, RT 5515, MLB 2/10,             | RT55 -  The Industrial and
   BTRL, Martlesham Heath, Suffolk, UK.        | 	   Human Factors
   Tel : +44 473 646443  		       |	     Design
   email : scott at uk.co.bt.hfnet                |		Division.