PC-Emulation on Sparc!

* Sandeep Varma * srvarma at zookeeper.cns.syr.edu
Wed Jul 4 12:12:39 AEST 1990

I have come across 2 products which can emulate a PC on a Sun.

1. DOS Windows: This is a Sun software ($500 approx.) which emulates the
   80286 instruction set on your Sun. It gives you an illusion of a PC/AT.
   Thus, while in SunView, you can run DOS-Windows in one windows where you
   can run your DOS applications while other windows can run your normal
   SunView commands.

2. SunIPC (Sun Integrated PC): This is also from Sun and is a hardware
   board which fits into the VME slot on your Sun. It has a dedicated 80286
   CPU built-in and therefore, it should run as fast as your PC/AT.

One disadvantage, I know of, about SunIPC, is that you will be able to run
only 1 DOS application per IPC board, as opposed to DOS windows, which
apparently lets you run more than one DOS jobs.

Hope this is some help!

-Sandeep.
(srvarma at zookeeper.cns.syr.edu)