Sun CD? (A user report)

Dale Wyttenbach plains!umn-cs!wytten at uunet.uu.net
Tue Jul 10 15:12:58 AEST 1990

hudgens at sun13.scri.fsu.edu (Jim Hudgens) writes:

>Can anyone give me any information on the SunCD player.  In particular,
>what comes with it in terms of cables, and what type of connectors does it
>have.  Does it have two connectors?

It has two miniature SCSI connectors on the back.  It has a headphone jack
on the front, with an output level adjustment.  It has an eject button on
the front, and a green LED.  That's about it.  No line level output, no
buttons suitable for playing audio CD's.  It comes with SunOS 4.1 and a
Demo CD that contains three audio tracks and 1 track of software.
Included software is a program that provides a handy way to play audio
CD's, but it's a Sunview application.  (Anyone have an X11 version yet?)

Don't get the idea that I don't think it's a neat box, because it is.  I
installed SunOS 4.1 from it with one minor glitch, which is probably just
another bug in the suninstall program: when you select /dev/sr0 as the
installation media, it always complains the first time that it can't mount
the device.  When you try it a second time, it works.

I'd like it better with output suitable for amplification and an X11 CD
player interface.  (Yah, yah, write it yourself you say...) Is it possible
to pull the audio out of the audio jack on the SPARC?

 Dale Wyttenbach		     |		...rutgers!umn-cs!wytten
 wytten at cs.umn.edu		     |		   wytten at umnacvx.bitnet