SunCD query (about the noise it makes)

Peter Ilieve peter at memex.co.uk
Mon Jul 16 22:09:00 AEST 1990

A few weeks ago I saw a SunCD at Sun's Edinburgh office. It was in a room
with a few desktop machines and several people but it was the noisiest
thing there. I gather that Sun are pushing CD for future software releases
and it seems a good idea to get one, and the new reduced price (\pounds750
in the UK) is even not too bad, but I don't really want that noise on my
desk.

So, the questions:

Why does it need a fan? Audio manufacturers seem capable of making CD
players with no fan and the SunCD should not contain more electronics,
less if anything.

If it really needs a fan, why does it have such a noisy one?

Are Sun's mechanical engineers all deaf? (half :-) When the SS1 came out
there was much European comment about how noisy it was. We have a
Vaxstation 3100 at the moment which is *much* quieter than my SS1.

If I buy something quiet like the NEC CDR-35 (portable CD-ROM drive) will
it work with the 4.1 sr driver?

Finally, what other CDs (other than SunOS or things designed for use with
Macs or PCs) could I put in the slot?

	Peter Ilieve		peter at memex.co.uk