Bugs in SunOS (esp 4.1)

Erwin Dondorp I84 dondorp at fwi.uva.nl
Wed Jul 18 00:58:44 AEST 1990

Well I don't know a better place to post bug reports then this one so here
it goes.

1) flashy windows

I one moves a SunView window that has not been made visible with
window_main_loop, then window update events still are sent to the windows
that are behind the invisible window. This is not a fatal error but since
the update regions are cleared first a flashy appearance results. (SunOS
4.0.3 4.1)

2) forgetting to look if a window is on screen

When one uses panel_set on a window that has not been made visible with
window_main_loop the new contents of the panel_item is drawn anyway but
since there is no window visible it appears on the background instead.
This behaviour is also visible on canvas windows where a picture is drawn
this picture also shows up over the background.  (a few seconds later in
my case the real windows are drawn, and the graphical mess is correctly
repaired) SunOS 4.0.3 4.1

3) menu filehandle still open

when a menu is displayed with menu_show a file is opened to contain the
window characteristics of the menu window. However this window is not
closed after the user makes his/her choice. The window is correctly taken
away by the file stays open. So after opening such menus about 50 times
results in a full filehandle table, this then means no new windows or
menus can be opened. i.e. the application has become useless.  New bug in
SunOS 4.1 (at least I did not see it in 4.0.3)

4) not a bug

I would like to see the possibility that a SunView window comes on the
screen the moment I created it. instead of when window_main_loop is
called.  (I know about notify_dispatch but this has other disadvantages)

Does anyone have quick hacks to prevent some/all of the above?

	Erwin