A problem adding a third disc drive to a Sun 3/80; THE SOLUTION!

Per Elmdahl per at lage.lysator.liu.se
Fri Jul 20 18:10:00 AEST 1990

Recently I sent out a description of a problem I had adding a third disc
drive to our Sun server. The server consists of a Sun 3/80, to which one
tape drive and two "shoeboxes" are connected. Each of the shoeboxes
contains a Wren IV disc drive.

When we tried to add another disc drive to the SCSI chain, we got timeout
errors when trying to access one of the Sun discs.  The problem was a too
long SCSI cable. A single-ended (not differential) SCSI cable can be only
6 meters long, and the cables connecting our devices was over 7 meters,
the cables in the boxes included.

Now we have mounted the new drive inside one of the shoeboxes, and all
works fine. A little mechanical work was needed, though.....

        Per Elmdahl, per at lysator.liu.se    Lysator Computer Club.