8bit getty on ttyd[0,1]

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Thu Jul 19 04:12:13 AEST 1990

>When I used the above as the getty for /dev/ttyd[0,1], everything worked
>fine until login(1) asked for a password, at which point the
>terminals/computers have to be put into 7bit w/ parity if they are to
>function correctly.

Yes.  It should be fixed in 4.1, unless somebody took my fix out before
4.1 shipped....

>We dont' have source (yet :-) so I can't go digging.

If, as, and when you do get source, fix "login" not to set the entire set
of "local mode" flags to zero - i.e., replace the TIOCLSET "ioctl" with
something that leaves the PASS8 bit alone.  You then should change
"in.rlogind" and "in.telnetd" to put the PASS8 bit in some standard state,
as "login" will no longer do it for them.