8bit getty on ttyd[0,1]

J. Eric Townsend jet at karazm.math.uh.edu
Tue Jul 17 08:18:22 AEST 1990

Hardware/software:

SS-1, SunOS 4.0.3c, TB T1000 modems, various terminals and comptuers with
TB T1000 modems.

Problem:  running a real 8-bit getty.  7bit w/ parity is senseless in our
environment of hardwired terminals and TB1000 modems.  We'd like to blow
it off completely.

I tried putting the following in /etc/gettytab:

8bit.9600|9600-baud-8bit-noparity:\
	:sp#9600:p8:

When I used the above as the getty for /dev/ttyd[0,1], everything worked
fine until login(1) asked for a password, at which point the
terminals/computers have to be put into 7bit w/ parity if they are to
function correctly.  We have similar problems with trying to run GraphOn
OptimaX terminals in 8bit mode (we are forced to use 7E1 currently).

Is this a SunOS bug?  We dont' have source (yet :-) so I can't go digging.

J. Eric Townsend -- University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
Internet: jet at uh.edu
Bitnet: jet at UHOU
Skate UNIX(r)