SPARCs appear to not use fsqrt

TAustin.HENR801c at xerox.com TAustin.HENR801c at xerox.com
Tue Jul 24 07:12:46 AEST 1990

I've recently been performing some instruction trace analysis on a Sun
4/110 workstation.  It seems that there is no way to generate the fsqrt
instruction from a high level language.  All square root operations are
turned into calls to _sqrt in libm.a which does not use the fsqrt
instruction.  I took the assembly output of a simple program that
calculates the square root of 2, replaced the call to _sqrt with the fsqrt
instruction and the program ran fine.  What gives?  Why doesn't anyone use
fsqrt?  It seems a significant amount of performance is being lost in
floating point intensive programs that use sqrt().

Todd Austin
taustin.henr801c at xerox.com