Debugging g++ programs with dbx

Gregory S. Wohlenberg wohlenbe at enuxha.eas.asu.edu
Tue Jul 24 08:14:28 AEST 1990

I am having a problem debugging with g++ on my machine (Sun SPARCstation
running SunOS 4.0 with GNU g++ version 1.37.1).

If I compile a program as follows:
  g++ -g0 test.cc -o test

and then attempt to debug it as follows:
  dbx test

I get the following response back:
  Reading symbolic information...
  dbx: internal error:
  Your executable file contains corrupt symbol information:
  The debugger expected to find char '=', but found char '

If I run "test" without dbx, it executes fine.  It is a simple program
that just prints a line of text to stdout.

I thought that the g0 switch allowed limited debug using dbx.  If anyone
can shed any light on this situation, I would greatly appreciate it.  (I
intend to eventually use gdb+, but I'm still curious why I can't get dbx
to work.)

Thanks,

Greg Wohlenberg
wohlenbe at enuxha.eas.asu.edu