SUN 3/160 ttys problem

David Fernandez Cambronero david at dit.upm.es
Sat Jul 14 02:26:22 AEST 1990

We have connections between tty asyncronous lines of a SUN 3/160 computer
running SunOS 3.5 and a MICOMBOX PAD. This connections have been working
fine for some time but lately we are detecting some problems related with
the release of that asyncronous lines when the comunications have
finished. Briefly, when the remote users makes a logout, the machine puts
the DTR RS-232C signal of the interface low for some time to make the
other end (MICOM) know the end of the conversation and then puts it high
again.

But the MICOM PAD needs at least 500ms of DTR low to release the
connection. And, apparently depending on the load of the system (or maybe
the phase of the moon), sometimes the line is released and sometimes not.

Our main hypothesis is that the duration of the pulse the SUN gives is
about 500ms, and so depending on the load of the SUN and the MICOMBOX the
pulses are long enough or not.

Our questions are:

1) Does anybody know if it is possible to configure (in the SUN) the
   period of time the DTR signal goes down to release the connection?

2) Is there any way of configure the ttys to avoid this problem? The
   actual configuration is the following:

w|std.9600|9600-baud:\
	:sp#9600:to#60:nl:f0#021:f1#021:f2#21:\
	:lo=/usr/adm/audit/login:lm=\r\n%h x25-in login\72 :

Any comments/experiences would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David Fernandez                 tel: +34 1 5495700,  +34 1 5495762

E-mail:        dfernandez at dit.upm.es