Auto-shutdown support for power outage

Philip Meese pmeese at govt.shearson.com
Wed Jul 18 00:37:53 AEST 1990

In his message of 8 Jul 90 Eric Ho sez:

> perhaps somebody at Sun's Server Group might
> want to at least start planning to add support to the kernel and in SunOS
> in general so that it can interact with *temporary* power backup devices.

There wouldn't be any need to do kernal mods to support this type of
function. A growing number of backup power supplies are equipped with
RS232 output ports which can easily connected to a server's serial port.
These devices output a range of information from battery condition to
outage indicators and time remaining to complete battery exhaustion.

Following this cue, all you need is a simple root permission process to
monitor the line and initiate a shutdown when the device indicates power
is out. This would allow for a graceful unattended shutdown of the server
complete with broadcast messages which are a feature of the shutdown
command.

If anyone is interested in this, I could paw about my files and come up
with some backup power supply manufacturer names and such...

Philip David Meese
On Assignment:               |  Office:
Shearson Lehman Hutton       |  PM Projects, Inc.
World Financial Center, 11fl |  35 West 20th Street
New York, N.Y. 10007         |  New York, N.Y. 10011

email: pmeese at shearson.com   |  email:	pmeese at pmp.com
Voice: (212) 640-6743	     |	Voice:	(212) 242-3891