Does the CD-ROM work on the 4/390?

Maj Brian Boyter bimbo!boyter at uunet.uu.net
Fri Jul 20 12:35:59 AEST 1990

In article <9835 at brazos.Rice.edu>, mp at allegra.tempo.nj.att.com (Mark Plotnick) writes:

> - does the CD-ROM drive work on the 4/390?  A press release dated May 15
>   says "The SunCD drive is available for all SPARCstations and
>   SPARCservers", and the 4.1 CD-ROM includes directions for how to boot the
>   4/390, but our sales rep looked into it and says the 4/390 isn't
>   supported, quoting someone who said "Unfortunately, there are significant
>   issues here that don't allow us to make any commitments at this time."

I asked that question of my Sun salesman, who queried the SunCD product
manager, who said that the SunCD is not an external add-on unit for the
4/390 (i.e. don't order an X558)...   Instead he sent me a number for an
upgrade kit (it began with a 'U') which included the SunCD and a scsi box
of some sort that mounts in the 4/390's rack....   The cost was in the
$1500 ball park....   I looked for the kit in the upgrade section of the
new catalog and it wasn't in there....

I'm sorry I don't have the details, but I'm at home and the email is at
work....  If ya wanna give me a call, Mark, I'll give ya the part
number...   Or else call your Sun sales-type-person....

Regards
Brian

   Maj. Brian A Boyter
   US Army Foreign Science & Technology Center
   Charlottesville, Va 22901
   off: (804)980-7362
   home:     973-9440
   FAX:      973-9047