Terminal size remembered across logins in 4.1?

Frank Peters fwp1 at cc.msstate.edu
Fri Jul 13 06:14:17 AEST 1990

We are experiencing an interesting problem on your 4/490 running SunOS
4.1.  We have a couple of users with odd sized terminals who tell the
system about their terminal size via the command

     stty rows 40 cols 40

The problem is this.  When that user disconnect the next user to get that
psuedo-tty port inherits the size characteristics.  That is, an stty -a
reveals the same size the last user was using.  An stty sane fails to
reset these values.  Nor are the modified by a tset.  In fact, the only
way we've found to correct this is to explicitly issue an 'stty rows 0
cols 0'.  I suppose I could tell affected users to put this in their
.login files...but it seems like there should be a more elegant solution
to this problem.

So, has anyone else experienced this problem?  Any suggestions for an
elegant solution?

Thanks

Frank W. Peters        Systems Programmer     Computing Center & Services
fwp1 at CC.MsState.Edu  Peters at MsState.Bitnet  (601)325-2942