Dim Sun Monitor?

Ray Frank ray at slate.cs.rochester.edu
Wed Jul 4 03:53:08 AEST 1990

In article <9534 at brazos.Rice.edu> pur-ee!rice at marimba.ecn.purdue.edu (Ken Rice) writes:

|In article <9459 at brazos.Rice.edu>, steved at gold.gvg.tek.com writes:
|
|| The failure mode is that every so often the user will notice the luminance
|| (brightness) ratchet up or down a little.  Initially the interval between
|| these changes is fairly long, but over time increases in frequency to the
|| point where it starts to piss one off.
|
|We have at least three monitors (all relatively new ones) that seem to be
|doing the same thing.  I have yet to find one that did it frequently
|enough to allow troubleshooting it.  I, too, would really like to know if
|there is a known cure for this.

We have at least a dozen monitors exhibiting this problem on our
Sparc-1's.  They are all Philips monitors part number M19P114.  Sun part
number is 365-1051-01.  The problem is exactly as you describe it.  I am
currently in contact with Sun to resolve the problem.  There may be a
manufacturing defect that when the cure is found for it, the part or parts
can be sent to us customers for installation.  Certainly better this than
having to send back all those monitors.