How to upgrade tapeless/dataless to 4.0.3

Barry A. Suskind, Knights who say NI! suskind at mdcbbs.com
Wed Jul 4 12:49:33 AEST 1990

I am having problems upgrading to 4.0.3 on my Sun3's

1 system has a 141 Mbyte disk/60Mbyte tape
2 systems have 141 Mbyte disk/no tape

I have the 4.0 Install tapes and the 4.0.3 upgrade tapes (all for 68020).
I installed 4.0 and upgraded to 4.0.3 on the system with tape
successfully, hurrah ...  I installed 4.0 on the 2 systems w/o tape via
net by using setup_client and doing remote boot, using "dd" to copy the
miniroot to the swap area, etc. This also worked fine, after reading
between the lines of the poor Sun install DOC. To save space I made each
tapeless system "dataless" only installing "/" and mounting "/usr" on the
tape system.  Then I tried to upgrade the 2 tapeless systems to 4.0.3,
both failed and corrupted the 4.0 root on each system. I booted each
system accross the net, copied the miniroot off the 4.0.3 tape and booted
it.  I started the upgrade on one system, The script asked where root was,
I answered "sd0a" it took some time, then asked where the "kvm" partition
was mounted, this was on the "nfs" mounted "/usr" partition, so I gave
that path. It asked about where the tape was, and it started. First
extracting the TOC off the tape on the remote system, then asked to "mount
the first volume of the upgrade for this arch" I looked and it had put the
tapedrive offline, so I reloaded the tape.  The script extracted the TOC
again and again asked to mount the first volume. I ^C'd the script after
looping 4 times. I tried to reboot, and my 4.0 root had been corrupted. I
tried, figuring it probably do the same on the other tapeless system, and
it too did the same thing.  I did just what the DOC said to do,,,, ha
that's what they all say :-)

I think this could be because my system with a tape was already running
4.0.3 and hence the tapeless systems were mounted the "/usr" partition off
that system and it confused the works. So how is this supposed to work?

| Barry A. Suskind 		       E-Systems / Melpar Division    |
| MaBell: 703-560-5000x2348            7700 Arlington Blvd  {MS:N401} |
| Internet: suskind%edoras at mdcbbs.com  Falls Church, Virginia 22046   |
| UUCP: uunet!mdcbbs!edoras!suskind                                   |
| JSNM ....................................... Just Stark Naked Magic |