Exabyte portability?

Ajay Shah ajayshah at aludra.usc.edu
Fri Jul 20 19:19:34 AEST 1990

I've taken a few "critical" backups of my work to an 8mm device beside my
sparcstation (I assume the drive is called Exabyte) and was wondering how
portable these tapes are:

1. The drive has no label on it saying it's by the firm called exabyte.
Does that still mean I can walk up to any sparcstation in the world which
has an 8mm attached and freely restore?  FYI, I take backups using tar
-cvbf 126 blah blah

2. What about taking the files to other Unix machines?  (I'll never ever
have to touch any machines by IBM or DEC in my life!!)

Ajay Shah, (213)747-9991, ajayshah at usc.edu