Can't open /dev/vme* on sun3/60 with sunOS 3.5

bilmes at icsi.berkeley.edu bilmes at icsi.berkeley.edu
Sat Jul 14 07:43:48 AEST 1990

I can't seem to open any of the vme devices for a sun 3/60 runing sunOS
3.5.  I have a kernel whos configuration file has.

# connections for machine type 7 (SUN3_60)
    controller      virtual 7 at nexus ?
    controller      obmem 7 at nexus ?
    controller      obio 7 at nexus ?
    controller      vme16d16 7 at nexus ?
    controller      vme24d16 7 at nexus ?
    controller      vme32d16 7 at nexus ?
    controller      vme16d32 7 at nexus ?
    controller      vme24d32 7 at nexus ?
    controller      vme32d32 7 at nexus ?

but no program can open the file. For example.

    # od -x /dev/vme32
    /dev/vme32: Invalid argument

Does anyone know what is wrong? Thanks much!!!

 Jeff Bilmes        arpa: bilmes at icsi.berkeley.edu
                    uucp: ...!ucbvax!icsi!bilmes