Cartridge tape recovery tool???

Ian Dall idall at augean.ua.oz.au
Fri Jul 6 14:28:33 AEST 1990

In article <9610 at brazos.Rice.edu> mh2620 at sarek.sbc.com (Mark Horstman [235-3417]) writes:
>AAARRRRGGGHHH!!  I just overwrote a 50MB tar file on my SS1 SCSI 150MB
>tape drive with a 2-4MB tar file.  I know the data is out there past the
>end of small file, the question is... can I get to it?

The short answer is no. The long answer is no because QIC-24 tape drives
erase all 11(?) tracks when writing to track 0. That means you have a
number of 2 - 4 MB holes in your tar file. Even that cannot be read
without a modified tape controller (hardware), as most QIC drives write an
end of data mark at the end of the last thing written, and provide no way
of reading past that point.

 Ian Dall           life (n). A sexually transmitted disease which afflicts
                              some people more severely than others.
   ACSnet: idall at augean.oz
 Internet: idall at augean.oz.au