Summary of Sun to Vax connection

Gene Amdur array!gene at cs.utexas.edu
Sat Mar 3 06:42:10 AEST 1990

As you may recall I asked about putting a Vax on a network containing
Suns.  Specifically I was wondering how to do it (i.e. what software was
around).

Well I received many replies.  They all pretty well pointed to the same
products.

1) Sunlink DNI
2) Wollongong WIN/TCP
3) MultiNet

People had good and bad things to say about each (i.e. they all have their
bugs) so I'm not going to go into all of that here.  Suffice to say that
these three were recommended by several people.

Also mentioned were:

4) Process software (I received no other information about this)
5) CMU TCP/IP (I got the impression that there is little support for this)

After talking to the respective companies it looks like we are going to
get Wollongong's TCP and NFS software (their price seemed to be the best).

If you want more information on this send me a message and I'll forward
the replies that I received.

Many thanks to:

Verity.Com!mliverig (Mike Liveright)
cunixf.cc.columbia.edu!shenkin
lgc.com!dharmesh
David Fetrow <milton.u.washington.edu!fetrow>
uunet!relay.EU.net!erhs40!acb (Sander Beenen)
uunet!Princeton.EDU!leonh%hhb (leon howorth)
mirfak.utu.fi!moj (Matti Jokinen)
TGV.COM!adelman (Kenneth Adelman)
uunet!bnrgate!bcars258!kratz (Geoff Kratz)
sli.com!rdh (Robert D. Houk)
Loki Jorgenson Rm421 <uunet!Physics.McGill.CA!loki>
Todd Aven <eddie.mit.edu!usgcdh!manager>
killians.tuc.nrao.edu!pmurphy (Pat Murphy)
"Grootwassink, David" <tawc1.eglin.af.mil!grootwass>

and anyone else who's messages haven't made it here yet.