Buying/Selling USED Sun boxes (with peripherals) ??

Glen Dudek dudek at ksr.com
Wed Mar 21 02:23:02 AEST 1990

In article <5872 at brazos.Rice.edu> convex!datri at uunet.uu.net (Anthony A. Datri) writes:

>You really, Really, REALLY don't want 3/75's.  They have quite a history
>of dying.  I've heard it attributed to improperly cleaned/manufactured
>backplanes.  The idea is that the residues corrode things.

I have been using Sun-3/75's for years, and the only 3/75-specific problem
I've seen is that a power supply connector can fail (due to a flaw in the
power supply design I believe) such that the machine is inoperable until
the power supply is replaced.  I am fairly certain the replacement power
supplies do not have the same flaw.  It is easy to tell when your Sun-3/75
has died for this reason: one of the molex connectors on the power supply
becomes browned (toasted) fairly badly.

Other than that, I have found the 3/75's to be at least as reliable as any
other Sun model we have (3/50's, 3/140's, 3/110's, 3/60's, 4/60's
4/280's).

	Glen Dudek
	Not speaking for Kendall Square Research
	dudek at ksr.com