useful posting

David B. Lewis david at ics.com
Thu Mar 15 01:43:07 AEST 1990

I've noticed a bunch of X-related questions on this mailing list recently.
The X User's Group has been posting monthly to comp.windows.x and
comp.windows.misc a fairly useful collection of articles and tidbits.  The
current version answers the questions below. In particular, note the
information on X servers, raster image conversion, troff previewers,
postscript displayers, etc:

0) Where can I obtain X source?
1) Where can I obtain X11R4?
2) Where can I obtain Motif?
3) Where can I obtain software implementing Open Look?
4) Where can I obtain other X sources?
5) What is the xstuff mail-archive?
6) Where can I obtain patches to X11R4?
7) Where can I find books and articles on X that are good for beginners?
8) What courses on X are available?
9) Is there a skeleton X program available?
10) What are these common abbreviations?
11) What is XUG?
12) What is the X Consortium and how do I join?
13) What conferences on X are coming up?
14) What is the current state of the world in X terminals?
15) How can I get an X server on a PC?
16) How can I get an X server on a Macintosh running MacOS?
17) Where can I obtain an X-based editor or word-processor?
18) Where can I obtain an X-based paint/draw program?
19) Where can I obtain an X-based spreadsheet?
20) Where can I get a PostScript previewer for X?
21) Where can I get a troff previewer for X?
22) How do I convert Mac/TIFF/GIF/Sun/PICT/Face/img/FAX/etc images to X?
23) How do I use an alternate window manager with DEC's session manager?
24) How do I build X with gcc?
25) What are these funny problems compiling X11R3 on the Sun4?
26) What are these funny problems installing X11R4 on the Sun running SunOS 4?
27) Where can I get a fast X server for a workstation?
28) How can I change the titlebar of my xterm window?
29) Why doesn't anything appear when I run this simple program?
30) What is the difference between a Screen and a screen?
31) Why do I get a BadDrawable error drawing to XtWindow(widget)?
32) Can I get the background pixel/pixmap of a window using XGetWindowAttributes?
33) Why does the pixmap I copy to the screen show up as garbage?
34) Why doesn't my program get the keystrokes I select for?
35) Why does the R3 xterm, et al, fail against the R4 server?
36) Where can I obtain alternate language bindings to Xlib?

XUG is at xug at expo.lcs.mit.edu