[comp.sys.sun] Wanted: SMD - SCSI convertor

Joe Pruett tessi!joey at cs.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 8 08:50:08 AEST 1990

Adaptec does make a board that will control SMD drives and talk SCSI out
the other side.  I think the part number was ADP-5580.  It could control
up to 4 drives of "any" geometry.  It was only asynch, so throughput is
only 1.5MB/sec.  I was interested in the same thing (hooking SMD drives up
to the sparcstation).  Since the board didn't do synch SCSI it wasn't very
attractive, and they weren't very interested in updating to synch mode.
If enough people bug them, they might get interested in updating to synch
and pushing it into the sun market...  Price was around $800.

Some tape drive vendors now sell boards to adapt their drives to SCSI, you
might look into that.  I'm pretty sure I've seen a generic board that
converts SCSI to PERTEC.