information on sun 2's

Acct. of Prof. Steve Kahn skahn at violet.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 8 08:29:18 AEST 1990

We have a dear old sun 2/120 (running 3.2) which probably should be put in
the graveyard one of these days.  But we are experimental physicists!  And
we know that we can fix *any* and *all* of its problems, even if we have
to cannibalize every other sun 2 on the planet (is that a pun?)!
Seriously, we have a sun 4/120 and sun 3/50 which are a lot more fun, but
the sun 2 has many more ports for terminals (of which we have >= 6).

The current source of our problems may be the sun 2 power supply, which we
are replacing with a cannibalized one from Cory Hall for ~ $100.  Is there
any one out there who fixes sun 2 power supplies?

If we ever get the sun2 working again, we will try to upgrade` to 4.x.  CAN
YOU UPGRADE SUN2 3.2 TO 4.X?  NO ONE EVER ANSWERED THIS QUESTION ON THE
NET, I THINK.

Is there anyone out there who actually fixes sun 2s anymore?

By the way, this particular sun 2 puppy had a tendency to crash when you
use the "tip" protocol to dial out via modem.  Given the lack of ports on
the sun4 and sun3, we have been unable to dial out at all.  Is tip on 3.2
bugged?

PLEASE SEND RESPONSES TO ME AT MY MAIL ADDRESS BELOW.  I DON'T READ THIS
BOARD THAT OFTEN.

                               Jon Schachter
			   -----> PLEASE REPLY TO:jon at xal.berkeley.edu