Need info for initial SUN purchase

Larry McVoy lm at sun.com
Fri Mar 9 18:22:25 AEST 1990

In article <5565 at brazos.Rice.edu> acad!megalon!glang at uunet.uu.net (Gary Lang) writes:

>In article <5134 at brazos.Rice.edu>, dlarson at blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) writes:
>> Given that I need to purchase the machine myself and that my budget will
>> break in the fairly low thousands, I think that a used SUN may well be the
>> right choice.  Am I wrong?
>
>I would say - get a NeXT machine....

Hmmm.  I'll plug Sun :-)  A SS1 is 9K diskless list.  You can get drives
for about a grand each from Quantum (I'm told anyway).  Probably want one
of the 200meg jobbies.  That's 10K list.  If you can't afford that, then I
would move away from this sort of machine altogether and look hard at a
386 running Xenix.  They're not bad boxes - for a home machine they beat a
Sun3 in several ways - cheap, lots of third party parts, you can replace
parts yourself, etc, etc.  Check out comp.sys.i386 - they talk about this
stuff.  You should be able to put together a nice machine for around 4K w/
software (you can get a lot free from FSF).

What I say is my opinion.  I am not paid to speak for Sun, I'm paid to hack.
    Besides, I frequently read news when I'm drjhgunghc, err, um, drunk.
Larry McVoy, Sun Microsystems     (415) 336-7627       ...!sun!lm or lm at sun.com