So what about those 4-Mb SIMMs?

Patrick Goebel lindy!romeo at lindy.stanford.edu
Fri Mar 2 13:41:10 AEST 1990

Judging by recent postings on this bboard, 4-Mb SIMMs are available and
come relatively cheap (i.e. approx. $500/chip or $125/Mb).  Does this mean
I can simply replace the 8 X 1-Mb SIMMs on a SPARCstation 330 CPU board
(for example) with 8 X 4-Mb ones?

Our Sun sales rep says that Sun's 4-Mb chips will be physically taller
than the 1-Mb version and might therefore only fit on a memory expansion
board and not on the CPU board.  Is this true of all (reputable) 4-Mb
SIMMs on the market?

In addition, our sales rep claims that Sun's 4-Mb SIMM upgrade will
require a PROM swap as well.  Can anyone verify this and elaborate if
true?

I'd kill for answers to these questions, but I'd settled for a few

Patrick Goebel--romeo at lindy.stanford.edu
CASBS--Budding SysAdmin