So what about those 4-Mb SIMMs?

Francis Vaughan francis at chook.ua.oz.au
Mon Mar 5 16:09:32 AEST 1990

>From article <5443 at brazos.Rice.edu>, by lindy!romeo at lindy.stanford.edu (Patrick Goebel):
> Judging by recent postings on this bboard, 4-Mb SIMMs are available and
> come relatively cheap (i.e. approx. $500/chip or $125/Mb).  Does this mean
> I can simply replace the 8 X 1-Mb SIMMs on a SPARCstation 330 CPU board
> (for example) with 8 X 4-Mb ones?

Not a problem. We currently have one 4/310 (That is a 4/110 with a 330 CPU
card in it) with 8x4MB SIMMs in it running now.

The memory we have is from Kingston Technology, part number
KTM-4000/9-80s.  Not too hard to work out what that means. There is no
height problem with these, they are exacly the same height as the SIMMs we
took out.  There is NO need for a ROM change. There is a single jumper
next to the memory on the board that needs closing with one of those
little configuration jumpers.

Over here in OZ memory is a little more expensive, but we judged it now
worthwhile to stock the machines full now.  It seems that SUN are trying a
bit of the old FUD factor marketing.

                                        Francis Vaughan
                                        francis at cs.ua.oz.au