shutdown of Sun with UPS

chapman at parc.xerox.com chapman at parc.xerox.com
Fri Mar 9 08:19:56 AEST 1990

# We have a Sun 3/280 protected by an AT&T 1kVa UPS.  The UPS has a serial
# port to connect to the Sun which can be used to inform the Sun that a
# power failure has occured.  At this point Sun should alert all users still
# connected and do a system shutdown before the 10 or 15 minute power from
# the UPS batteries runs out.  Does anyone have the software for a Sun to
# recognize alarm condition and do the shutdown?
#
# [[Ed's Note: There was a lot of talk about UPS systems and software a
# while back (Nov '89), however the only software that was explicitly
# mentioned was 'upswatch' by Brent Chapman (brent at mica.berkeley.edu). -bdg]]

I guess I should catch up on reading my Sun-Spots back issues more
often...  I did write such a program while working at Capital Market
Technology, Inc. (my pervious employer), and released it to a few people.
The program was intended for use with UPS systems from Best Power Systems,
and it's not clear how easy it would be to adapt it to another
manufacturer's UPS.  In any case, I no longer work for CMT, and no longer
have a copy of the source.  You could contact my successor at CMT, Andy
Beals (bandy at capmkt.com), and ask for a copy; CMT may or may not be
willing to release it.

The email address given for me by the moderator is incorrect, by the
way; I am chapman at mica.berkeley.edu (not brent at mica.berkeley.edu) or,
preferably, chapman at parc.xerox.com.

Brent Chapman                                   Xerox Palo Alto Research Center
UNIX Operations Manager                         3333 Coyote Hill Road
chapman at parc.xerox.com                          Palo Alto, CA  94304
                                                Phone:  415/494-4316