Problem with le0 on 4/330 CPU board

Margaret Mikulska ece!mikulska at ucsd.edu
Sat Mar 3 14:44:50 AEST 1990

In article <5406 at brazos.Rice.edu> ehrlich at shire.cs.psu.edu (Daniel Ehrlich) writes:

>We just upgraded a Sun 4/260 to a Sun 4/360 and have started seeing the
>following in our system log.  The system seems to recover from this, but
>we were wondering if anyone could shed some light on why it was happening
>and if there was anything that could be done about it.
>
>Mar  1 09:02:32 shire vmunix: le0: Transmission stopped
>Mar  1 09:02:32 shire vmunix: le0: csr: 2e3<TINT,INTR,INEA,RXON,STRT,INIT,>

This is a known bug (one of many) in the Lance ethernet chip. This
particular bug results from transmit memory underflow. Bug ID: 1029247,
1019513, 1029316.  A patch is available from Sun; it's a replacement for
the kernel module "if_le.o", for sun3x, sun4 and sun4c architectures, for
SunOS 4.0.3.

Supposedly, this bug is fairly harmless (doesn't crash the system) and
affects mainly performance.

Margaret Mikulska
University of California, San Diego
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
mikulska at ece.ucsd.edu