3rd party mechanical mice

Mark Weiser mark at arisia.xerox.com
Tue Mar 20 03:17:34 AEST 1990

Logitech makes a very nice opto-mechanical (means it has a mechanical ball
that is read by opto-sensors) sun mouse.  I like the feel a lot better
than the sun optical mouse.  When I first switched I could not tell the
difference, but then when I switched back I could tell the sun one felt
bad by comparison.  The fair experiment is to try the Logitech for a day
or two of intense use.

As you probably already know, mechanical mice (and some optical, but not
Sun's) have the property that motion is detected relative to the mouse
motion rather than relative to the surface being moved upon.  Since your
hand can tell what's its orientation is, the mechanical mice are harder to
make motion mistakes, and (my opinion) avoid subtle muscle corrections
that can lead to fatigue.

The logitech mouse also has a curved body which allows you to rest your
hand on it.  For me this also feels like it reduces fatigue.

Price is pretty reasonable, as I recall, $150 or so, maybe better.