Setting correct Timezone

Phil Ritzenthaler phil at grumpy.cgrg.ohio-state.edu
Tue Mar 20 02:44:47 AEST 1990

Lee Fedor <fedor at dsg.csc.ti.com> in Feb reported a problem about timezones and
the solutions.

I am having a different but maybe related problem.  I have Sun 3's and 4's
being served off of a Sun 4/280S.  Since the /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo
directory is in the 'share' file system, both the 3's and 4's use the same
files.  All has been OK, until a couple of months ago.

If you remeberthe booting procedure, after you try to preform the disk
checks (fsck), it prints a date.  From grep'ing around, I assume it is
done in rc:

	if [ -r /fastboot ]; then
	        rm -f /fastboot
	elif [ $1x = autobootx ]; then
	        (echo Automatic reboot in progress...)		>/dev/console
	else
	        (echo Multiuser startup in progress...)		>/dev/console
	fi
	date >/dev/console

Later (after booting and just before the login prompt), it again prints
out the date.  The problem I am having is that the dates DON'T MATCH!!
One is written in GMT while the other is in EST.  Anytime you look at
files created, they are created using the GMT time, executing date gives
you EST.  I have checked the  file EST5EDT in /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/, I
have recompiled using 'zic' the file northamerica in
/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/, I have excuted the 'zic -l EST5EDT' line to try
and force localtime to be EST5EDT.

So far, nothing has worked.  What have I missed?  H E L P!!!!!

Phil Ritzenthaler  The Advanced Computing Center for the Arts & Design (ACCAD)
Systems Manager    The Ohio State University
                   UUCP: ...!{pyramid,killer}!grumpy.cgrg.ohio-state.edu!phil
(614) 292-3416     ARPA: phil at grumpy.cgrg.ohio-state.edu