How to Justify a Sun System

Tim J Ihde tim at attdso.att.com
Wed Mar 28 05:56:19 AEST 1990

I am working on a project that is finally moving towards pulling itself
out of the dark ages :-)

What we are trying to do is put together a proposal for the hardware we
need to prototype the next generation of our package.  HOPEFULLY this will
involve X-windows on Sparcs.  In order to justify the hardware expense,
however, we need to be able to show the usefulness of this equipment after
the prototype is complete.  We've been discussing this mostly in terms of
increased programmer productivity (we cannot be sure that our clients will
be interested in purchasing Suns themselves, so X or other run-time
advantages don't apply).

Anyway, I was thinking that this is probably not an uncommon problem to
have.  We know they are "great," but our management needs to see something
a little better quantified than that.  Has anyone out there come up with
some good justifications along these lines?

Please email; I will summarize if there is interest.  Thanks!

Tim J Ihde				INTERNET:   tim at attdso.att.com
              				UUCP:	    att!attdso!tim