Summary of spreadsheet responses (l

mark galbraith mark at deltam.com
Wed Mar 28 06:01:22 AEST 1990

Thanks to one and all that responded to my query.  There were so many
requests for the summary, that I decided to post the summary instead of
mailing to all of the people that requested it.

>From the information provided, we downloaded a program called `sc' from
the archives at uunet.  It compiled without a hitch, and is now in
operation here.  The `sc' program was chosen because of its status in the
public domain, and the availability of source code.

And now, the summary:

Charles Shub <uunet!boulder.Colorado.EDU!cdash> writes:

There's something called SC or VC available from comp.sources.unix
archives (don't expect a volume number) my directory still has the 4 shar
files in it so i'll mail them to you if needed.

[[ It's called `sc' and it's in volume 18 at uunet.  --Mark ]]
John Hanley <uunet!oracle!hqsun1.oracle.com!jhanley> writes:

You know about sc6.1 from comp.sources.unix, right?  Based on curses,
comes with a good tutorial, works fine on all our Suns.  Let me know if
you want me to send more.

[[ I didn't, but I do now. -- Mark ]]
Scott Brim <uunet!chumley.TN.Cornell.EDU!swb> writes:

I have a patched version of SC.  It's available in the comp.sources.unix
archives, probably, but let me know if you can't find it and I'll tar it
up.  I've done everything from proposal budgets to network availability
calculations to costing out a T1 network with this thing.  The only thing
it can't do is automatically dig a cell range out of another spreadsheet
and insert it in the current one -- chained / hierarchical relationships.
On the other hand a cell can contain a Unix command.

[[ He also sent the troff for the manual page.  I deleted that but if
anyone wants it I will mail it to them.  As he stated he had a patched
version, I asked him to provide the patch.  His reply is reproduced below
-- Mark ]]

Hi.  The 6.2 patch adds the format-per-individual-cell feature, so, for
example, you can have commas in the numbers of individual cells, or %
signs and have the display multiplied by 100 (but not the number).  It was
posted as an unofficial patch on NetNews, and will be in the official 6.2
in a couple of months.  That's all, and perhaps you could live without it.
Anyway, here it is -- there is a mismatch in the patch to sc.c, which
involves changing a ctl (g) to ctl ('g'), or vice versa.  I fixed it by
hand afterward.

[[ I removed the patch text.  The same offer applies to it as did the
   manual page.  --Mark ]]
Gordon Joly <uunet!NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK!gj%psychiatry.sm.ucl.ac.uk> writes:

NeWS 1.1 comes with ``sc'' which may be similar to Lotus 1-2-3.
uunet!suneast.East.Sun.COM!kessler (Tom Kessler) writes:

If you want public domain try sc.  It should be available from your
friendly neighborhood comp.sources.unix archive.

If you want a commercial product.

Try SCO pro (shipping now), Lotus 1-2-3 (shipping very soon), or WingZ
(from informix) shipping real soon.

Get a catalyst catalog from sun to find the phone numbers for SCO and
informix.  Call 1-800-343-5414 for information about Lotus.

[[ Our catalyst catalog shows the phone numbers as shown:
	SCO         +1 800 626 8649 (1-800-626-UNIX)
	Informix    +1 415 322 4100
   --Mark ]]
Paul Nakada <uunet!oracle!pnakada.oracle.com!pnakada> writes:

there should be a program called sc already installed on your machine..
I'm pretty sure it comes with SunOS..  otherwise I'm sure it's available
on any of the unix.sources archive sites..

[[ The latter, not the former.   :-)  --Mark ]]
uunet!mmsac!eben (Eben R.S. Visher) writes:

We have been delighted with sc, which I think I had uunet ship to me.  It
is *much* more powerful than its simple man page suggests--in the same way
that sed, ls, or dc are.  I enclose a little bit of the README and man
page that came with it.

[[ Again I deleted the additional text.  Anyone who wants it can request
   it from me. --Mark ]]
"Douglas F. DeJulio" <uunet!andrew.cmu.edu!dd26+> writes:

There is a spreadsheet available from simtel20, under the "unix-c" tree.
It is named "sc".  I have recently compiled it here at CMU, and people
seem to like it.  It uses curses.

[[ As I stated above, it is also available in the uunet archives.  --Mark ]]
Mike Schwartz <uunet!boulder.Colorado.EDU!schwartz> writes:

I use "sc" -- got it from comp.sources.unix.  The article it was posted
with follows.  If you can't get it by ftp I can send it to you.

[[ Again, I removed the additional text which is available on request.
   --Mark ]]
uunet!aai!leo (Leo Pinard) writes:

To my knowledge, the only spreadsheet available is the ancient SC, which
is curses based.  Please let me know if you find out otherwise.  I'll bet
you get at least 10 times as many inquiries as pointers!   8-)

[[ Not quite.  It was about even between people telling me about SC, and
   those requesting the summary.   ;-)   --Mark ]]
uunet!hcr!dmntor!dmnboss!colin (Colin Biggin @ Digital Media Networks) writes:

We have a PD spreadsheet here called SC.  It's a curses based thing and is
somewhat like multi-plan...  We have the source if you want it.

[[ Thanks.  I already have it.  --Mark ]]
Craig Warren <uunet!deakin.OZ.AU!ccw> writes:

You can use 'sc' under curses which basically looks like a 123 look-alike.
I don't know anything that runs under Sunview, but if you find anything I
would be interested.

[[ Read on Craig.  --Mark ]]
uunet!linac.fnal.gov!mccrory (Elliott McCrory) writes:

I read that lotus123 is avaiable now on Sun, for under $1000.

[[ The next article has more information on pricing.  --Mark ]]
uunet!alw.NIH.GOV!sullivan (Jim Sullivan) writes:

I'm gathering applications for our network of Unix machines.  Lotus 1-2-3
will run on Sun machines under Sunview.  It costs about $695 per
workstation and they have network prices which were quoted to me as $995
for the server copy and $495 per node.  For more information, call
1-800-343-5414.

 uunet!ames!ames!claris!portal!cup.portal.com!Ken_C_Neubauer writes:

Sun will be announcing relitively soon that Lotus 123 is available to run
under UNIX on Sun's. Available today, is also Wingz which is VERY nice
(contact your Sun salesmen for info). I have used both (BETA tester for
them) and prefer Wingz, but if you exchange data with others, Lotus is
more portable.

uunet!prles1.prl.philips.nl!reyniers (Peter Reynierse) writes:

I'm using 20/20 from Access Technologies. It uses SunView.  Lotus 1-2-3
should be available for SUN as well now.

uunet!hamblin.byu.edu!jlp (Jan L. Peterson) writes:

I know of a pretty good spread sheet program that works on Suns.  It's is
called UltraCalc II (from Olympus Software).  It uses curses and has it's
own terminfo database to support ISO characters and color terminals.  It
also includes an excellent graphics package that can draw graphs in
sunview or X windows (graphs being bar charts, pie charts, etc.) and plot
them on lots of different types of printers and ploters.

For more information, contact Olympus at:
	Olympus Software
	1333 E 9400 S -- Suite 100
	Sandy, UT 84093
	(801) 572-1610

Disclaimer:  I used to work for Olympus and wrote some (a lot)
of UltraCalc II.
Well, that's the end of the summary.  I appologize for it being so long,
but I wanted to include everyone's comments.  If I have omitted someone,
I appologize for that too.

Disclaimer:  The comments made above are attributed to their authors.  Delta
Microsystems is not responsible for the comments of the contributors.

Mark Galbraith                                     Voice: +1 415 449 6881
Programmer/Analyst                                UUCP: uunet!deltam!mark
System Administrator/Postmaster                   Domain: mark at deltam.com
Delta Microsystems, Inc.                           Compuserve: 76234,3126