hooking up ESDI drives on a Sun 3 (chea

-b2wild- b2wild at ucscb.ucsc.edu
Thu Mar 22 13:24:35 AEST 1990

maxtor ESDI drive to a Sun/3:

A cheap way to do this (especially if you already have Sun's VME/SCSI
controller, like we did, since we had the 1/4" tape), is to use a
SCSI-to-ESDI board.

In Sun's "Shoeboxes", the 141meg version is really just an Emulex MD21/A
scsi-to-esdi board (about $90), and a Micropolis 1355 (or Fujitsu) drive
(170meg unformatted).

This approach is probably not quite as fast a an VME/ESDI controller card,
but seems to be a pretty cheap alternative. (Sun's 1/4" tape drives
typically use Sun's VME/SCSI card, so you can pick the SCSI bus off of
that card.)

			- b2wild at ucscb.ucsc.edu -