Problem with the mount command

KALDIS peter peter at sherlock.cs.concordia.ca
Thu Mar 22 13:47:46 AEST 1990

I'm a neophyte system administrator and have recently stumbled into a
problem that has me stuck at a dead end. The problem is that I can't seem
to mount a remote file system which is located on a disk which is local to
another machine on the network.

The network I'm talking about is a Spacstation1 with it's own local disk
and a Sun 3/50 with 2 external disks. I've followed the procedure outlined
in the Sun manuals several times but it always gives me this error when I
try to mount a file system located on the 3/50's external disks:

	mount:/mnt access denied.
	mount: giving up on
	/mnt

This is basically the problem. What I need to know is whether it's a
problem that someone else has run into and solved, because I've tried the
obvious (ie. check the /etc/exports file on the server, check the
hostname, and hostid of both machines, etc.).The Sparc is running SUNOS
4.0.3 and the 3/50 is using SUNOS 4.0

I've also tried the following things with these results:

Test			Sparc			3/50
Telnet		Can telnet to itself		Can telnet to itself
		Can telnet to 3/50		Can telnet to Sparc

Rlogin		same as telnet			same as telnet

spary		The 3/50 drops 90%		The sparc drops 0%
		of the packets			of the packets

rup		the sparc sees itself		the 3/50 only sees itself
		and the 3/50 on the network	and no other machine on the
						network

ping		the 3/50 is alive		the sparc is alive.

Any help with this problem is really appreciated, I've got to start
connecting PC's to this network as well but first I'd like to get this
problem solved.
						Thank's Loads
						Peter Kaldis
e-mail: 	peter at sherlock.CS.Concordia.CA