X Terminals - problems with Sun SparcStation 1

Mark Horstman 5-3417 swbatl!mhorstm at flash.bellcore.com
Wed Mar 28 00:26:01 AEST 1990

In article <6089 at brazos.Rice.edu> ghazi at airgun.wg.waii.com (Nasser K Ghazi) writes:

>I need some help. I am running a Tektronix XN11 Color X-station (X
>terminal).  I have no problems with hanging it off an IBM RT/135 running
>AIX Windows (X11 Rel 3) in the sense that it does not kill the RT console.
>
>On the other hand, if I try to run xterm off a Sun SparcStation 1, I am
>unable to maintain concurrent X sessions on the Sun console and Tektronix
>X-Station. the error message indicates that all sockets are in use.
>
>Could someone who has a grip on this problem please help me out ?? the
>same thing happens with a Visual BW X-station.  I have X11 Release 4
>running on the SparcStation. the Sun folk think it is perhaps a X11.4
>xterm problem. is that so, or is it just a silly licence/install problem

I'm not sure what is happening in your configuration but I've got X11R4
running on my SS1 and have successfully used the Network Computing Devices
NCD17C (color), Visual X19 Turbo (monochrome), Tektronix XN11 (color), and
the NCR Towerview (monochrome) all at the same time while my (color)
console was running X.  OK so it was a little slow (I only have 8MB of
memory on my SS1), but I didn't have any other problems (yes I did have
xterms open on each display).

					Mark Horstman
                                        Southwestern Bell Telephone
                                        St. Louis, MO