Vax with VMS connect to Sun ethernet network?

Calvin Hayden tijc02!cgh018 at rti.rti.org
Sat Mar 10 03:32:31 AEST 1990

>From article <5284 at brazos.Rice.edu>, by sun-spots-request at rice.UUCP:
> I would like to know if this is the case.  If not, then how do we go about
> adding a Vax running VMS to our Unix (Sun) network?

Here, we have a Vax Cluster running vms, Suns, a System V vax, and others.
Most can communicate with the vms machines.  We purshased software, and
hardware (a smart ethernet card I beleive) from Excelan.  The software was
their TCP/IP s/w.  We are able to use telnet to login to the vms cluster,
ftp for file transfers, and can even do rsh's.  I dont know if Excelan is
still Excelan, or if they still supply the Software/Hardware needed to
give your vms machine TCP/IP ability.  (We found it is also nice because
it supports SMTP for mail across systems -- ie: I can do a mailx
user at vmsmachine < filename and it works fine).  If I am not mistaken ( I
may be ), the software is called "LAN Service for VMS -- TCP/IP Network
Software", and the hardware is something like an EXOS [23]04 Intelligent
Ethernet Controller.  Their address (as listed in a manual here) is:

Excelan
2180 Fortune Drive
San Jose, CA  95131
408 434-2300

I also think some other groups (such as Wollogong) makes a TCP/IP package
for vms Vaxen.  Hope this helps in some small way.

Calvin Hayden
Texas Instruments, Johnson City, Tn.
Voice (615)461-2254
UUCP:  ...mcmc!rti!tijc02!{root,cgh018}