vitool

jxh at cup.portal.com jxh at cup.portal.com
Sat Mar 3 17:14:35 AEST 1990

I use textedit constantly, but miss features (to say the least) of vi.
When I use vi, I miss features of textedit, primarily scroll bars and just
mouse-ability in general.

Has anyone blended these two, yet? I suppose it would be called vitool.  I
imagine a front-end for vi that would allow mouse positioning of the caret
(and a left-button click), telling vi the appropriate things to get it to
move its cursor there; knowing whether vi is in insert mode, and putting
it there if I do a Paste, for instance.  It would work just like vi,
except that the mouse and selection service would work.  Perhaps a special
TERMCAP would make it easier for the tool to understand what vi is up to.

How about it, people?  I just got a Sun on my desk a month ago, and I
thought of this; hasn't *somebody* out there already done it in the years
and years prior to my entry upon the scene?

-Jim Hickstein, Teradyne/Attain, San Jose, CA (408) 434-0822
jxh at cup.portal.com   ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!jxh
{decwrl|sun|ditka}!teraida!jxh%attain