Non-sun laserprinters

hansen fred r hansen at snll-arpagw.llnl.gov
Wed May 30 00:09:56 AEST 1990

I apologize if this has been covered already.  I just got my Sparc station
up and running and I'd like to put a laserprinter on it.  Sun wants $6000
for the Sun Laserwriter!! They also say I can use an Apple Laserwriter if
I buy a $2000 conversion kit (how generous).  As far as I can tell, the
kit contains a serial cable and a Postscript driver for troff.  Not even
IBM and Apple overcharge this badly.

Do I really have to use Sun's printer or buy their conversion kit, or will
any Postscript printer do?  I have a SparcStation 1+ running SunOS 4.1.  I
intend to use the printer to print out C listings (via enscript),
Postscript graphics, and TeX/LaTeX documents.  I also plan on making this
printer available to several other machines via a local Sun network.

Thanks for the help?

Fred Hansen                        hansen at sandia.llnl.gov