Non-sun laserprinters

Neil Gorsuch zardoz!uninet!neil at uunet.uu.net
Wed May 30 10:07:56 AEST 1990

In article <8231 at brazos.Rice.edu> hansen at snll-arpagw.llnl.gov (hansen fred r) writes:
>I apologize if this has been covered already.  I just got my Sparc station
>up and running and I'd like to put a laserprinter on it.  Sun wants $6000
>for the Sun Laserwriter!! They also say I can use an Apple Laserwriter if
>I buy a $2000 conversion kit (how generous).  As far as I can tell, the
>kit contains a serial cable and a Postscript driver for troff.  Not even
>IBM and Apple overcharge this badly.

Buy a really cheap laser printer, stick in a centronics parallel interface
(ours is on SCSI, others are on S-bus), and have fun.  If you really want
to save money, buy a cheaper non-postscript laser printer and put in a
public domain postscript to HP or other format filter.  If you are dumping
a lot of graphics data, ours and others go to high throughput rates, so
you should see a very dramatic difference between the serial ports already
on the Sun and any newly added parallel ports, as far as page downloading
time.

Neil Gorsuch     INTERNET: neil at uninet.cpd.com      UUCP: uunet!zardoz!neil
MAIL: 1209 E. Warner, Santa Ana, CA, USA, 92705     PHONE: +1 714 546 1100
Uninet, a division of Custom Product Design, Inc.   FAX: +1 714 546 3726
AKA: root, security-request, uuasc-request, postmaster, usenet, news