SS SLC : 16 bit bus?

Gil Tene devil at TECHUNIX.BITNET
Sat May 26 22:54:30 AEST 1990

I have read here about the SLC, and have seen Suns graphic announcement
running on a SS1-GX, showing off the new workstation details.

I seems that the new SLC uses 4Mbit SIMMS for memory, and it comes in a
base configuration of 8MB, expandable to 16MB. The way I calculate it: 8
MB is only 16 bits x 4Mbits, and that means a 16-bit wide data path.  The
minimum memory you can use for 32-bit wide data with 4Mbit chips is
16MBytes...

If the data path is only 16-bits, how much slower is the system going to
be on memory transfers (1/2?), besides, what happens when you upgrade to
16MB, do you keep the 16-bit bus, or does it go to full 32-bits?

Anyone know details/answers about this?

Gil.

P.S. : what is the Cache size on the SLC ?...