3270tool: an IBM 3270 terminal emulator for SunView

Robert Viduya robert at shangri-la.gatech.edu
Sun May 27 04:22:15 AEST 1990

This is something I wrote a couple of years ago, but due to some problems
here at Tech, have only just now gotten permission to release.  As a
result, the code has been in production use here on campus for most of
that time and has proven to be pretty solid.  I won't guarantee that it's
entirely bug free (I'm not *that* stupid) but I'll just say that I've not
found any in quite some time and none of the people who use it have
reported any.  There are certainly some areas of improvement but more on
that later.

This program is called 3270tool and is meant to replace tn3270 in a
SunView environment.  It's biggest advantage over tn3270 is that it takes
advantage of it's environment by supporting the full IBM 3278 character
set (something an ASCII terminal can't do) and not forcing the user to
remember what key on his keyboard maps to a particular IBM key since all
such keys are available from the mouse as well as the keyboard.

The man page explains how to do things and the README talks a bit about
the program as well as areas of improvements but since I've pretty much
moved into an X environment, I don't think those improvements will be
coming from me.  The X version of the program is almost done and offers a
few significant improvements already like a user-definable keyboard
mapping (those .Xdefaults files are a *big* improvement over SunView's
.defaults file) as well as a wider range of font sizes and a wider range
of IBM terminal types that are supported.

[[Ed's Note: Available from the Rice archives. -bdg]]

FTP:	Hostname : titan.rice.edu (128.42.1.30)
	Directory: sun-source
	Filename : 3270.tzu      {note: tzu=tar,compress,uuencoded}
	Filesize : 82393 bytes

Archive Server Address: archive-server at rice.edu
Archive Server Command: send sun-source 3270.tzu