Emulex MT-02 on Sun3/260

Petri Ojala ojala at cs.hut.fi
Fri May 4 15:48:46 AEST 1990

We have here one Sun 3/260 with internal 60Mb tape drive and external SMD
disk via Xylogics 450/451 controller.

Yesterday we did some research inside the machine and found out that the
tape drive seems to be ordinary 60Mb Wangtek SCSI tape connected to an
card called as MT-02 tape controller in the manuals.  The card has a text
"Emulex ASSY MT 0210403 Rev M" on it.  The card is quite small and is
located near the tape drive, not in the VME slots.  The card is connected
to the machine via 40 pin cable, which also continues from card and has an
empty connector.

The controller is defined as controller sc0 in the GENERIC kernel
configuration file.  However additionally to two tapes the GENERIC file
defines several sd disks that could be connected to the sc0 controller.
Also the case seems to be designed for disk(s), there is room for at least
one disk and several free power cables.

So the big question is: Can I put SCSI disks to this controller ?  If yes,
how (any dip changes required?) ?  If not, is it possible to replace the
current card (or add a new card to the free connector mention above) with
a better Emulex card that would also support disks and would be supported
by the Sun kernel ?

Have Sun sold any 3/260 models with internal SCSI disk(s) which are _not_
controlled via SCSI card in a VME slot ?

Cheers,
	Petri Ojala
	Helsinki University of Technology
	Computer Science Laboratory