X11 and SunView revisited (adjacentscre

David L. Kensiski oahu!bcshaw!airport8!dkensis at sunkist.west.sun.com
Fri May 4 12:40:40 AEST 1990

In v9n126, Mike Jipping <jipping at cs.hope.edu> brought up the subject of
Ken Manheimer's <klm at cme.nist.gov> suggestion in v8n153 about running
SunView and X11 simultaneously on the same machine.  Hoping I'm not
kicking around a dead horse, I would like to breach this subject one more
time.

I have been able to run X11R4 and SunView successfully as long as I start
SunView first, then invoke X and adjacentscreens from a SunView window.
Unfortunately, we are developing an X based product and I need to invoke
SunView and adjacentscreens from an xterm:

	setenv WINDOW_PARENT /dev/win0
	sunview -d /dev/bwtwo0 &; \
		sleep 12; \
		adjacentscreens /dev/bwtwo0 -r /dev/cgthree0 &

When I do this, SunView starts up all nice and nifty, but adjacent-
screens complains that there are no windows in /dev/cgthree0 (the device
that X11R4 is yakking with).  I have tried a number of subtly different
incantations, but they all come up with the same gripe.

Does anyone know if this can be done.  We have our system configured such
that our X server never exits.  Init starts an X-based custom login
program rather than the standard login, hence I never get the chance to
start SunView before X.  If you can help me, I would be greatly
appreciable.

David L. Kensiski
Boeing Computer Services
sun.com!sunkist!oahu!bcshaw!dkensis