Color-related bug in SunOS 4.0.3 ?

Sandy Napel snapel at irus.rri.uwo.ca
Thu May 3 05:28:12 AEST 1990

We have just upgraded to SunOS 4.0.3 on our 3/260 and 3/60 machines, and
have found what appears to be a single bug with various manifestations.  A
specific description of these manifestations follows, but it's a bit
involved.  Please reply if you know of ANY bugs related to color segments
in SunView, introduced in 4.0.3.

For the really keen, the detailed description follows:

When you run SunView and bring up a bunch of tools, each of which wants a
different combination of foreground and background colors, one of them
(always the same one, perhaps the third or fourth to be run I'm not sure)
always pops up black & white instead of with the requested colors.  You
can run the command to create the tool again, without deleting the first
one, and you'll get the right colors on the new incarnation of the tool.
(Sometimes I think you have to try several times.)

Another manifestation occurs when you have run SunView and invoked any
number of tools, but just black and white ones.  If you then invoke a tool
which wants to be black & white but with a purple-filled canvas (e.g.
TAAC-1 applications), the black parts of ALL the previously-invoked tools
(both window borders and text) simultaneously go purple.  If you then run
the TAAC-1 video editor (a tool with a slider to interactively adjust the
color of the purple canvas in the TAAC tool), and fiddle with the slider,
all the stuff which went purple simultaneously changes color.

We didn't have such problems until upgrading to 4.0.3.  My guess is that
something has been changed in SunView's handling of color table segments,
such that now, it's possible for several tools to share a segment, AND
that there is some bug which sometimes (perhaps by returning a bad
pointer) causes several tools to share a segment even when they're not
really supposed to.