Ansi C compiler for the SunSparc1

Dan Mick dan at kfw.com
Thu May 3 08:03:20 AEST 1990

In article <7298 at brazos.Rice.edu> andrew at ambra.dk (Leif Andrew Rump) writes:

>I'm p***** off with the C-compiler that Sun deliver with SunOS 4.0.3!  It
>is not a bit Ansi compatible and the include-files (well that's actually
>Sun's problem not the compilers) is very well unplanned!  (They have to be
>included in a specific order and must only be included once or you get
>double defines!)

Welcome to UNIX C, Leif...

>Is there any better C-compiler (or real C++, not preprocessor) for the
>Sparc1 and how is the compiler in 4.1 - the same?

GCC is ported to Sun-4's.  MetaWare sell High-C for Suns.  I believe
GreenHills may sell a SPARC C compiler.  Certainly the first two are as
ANSI-compliant as almost anything around, and MetaWare is purported to
generate better code, though I can't speak from personal experience yet.
I do know MetaWare have a mostly-automatic inliner that gains some speed.