Sparcstation floppy utilities

Richard Elling relling at eng.auburn.edu
Wed May 30 05:15:14 AEST 1990

Beware of using "eject -f" (eject forcefully) to unmount and eject a
floppy since it will even eject a busy file system :-(.  This will cause a
crash of the worst sort (fsck by hand :-( I did it once just for grins.)
Since *ANY* user can issue an eject -f at any time, I consider mounted
floppies to be a risk.  I even wrote a floppy unmount program which would
do a better job of explaining the EBUSY error message.  But anybody bright
enough to read the man page and do an eject -f is unstoppable.  I suppose
one could rewrite eject and take out the -f option.

P.S. rumor has it that there is a version of filemgr which allows users to
format/newfs/mount floppies.  Anybody know for sure?  Does it work nicely
with other programs like DOS-Windows?

Richard Elling                | Manager of Network Support
Auburn University             | Engineering Administration
Work: relling at eng.auburn.edu  | (205)844-2280
Play: relling at cup.portal.com  | AMPR.ORG: 44.100.0.72 (KB4HB-8)